Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Am I reduced to a sound effect?

Normally I don't like to blog here about work, that's why I have a different blog, but today something happened that was so funny I had to mention it here. Thanks to Parent2 I was able to stay after and get work done or run errands. In the midst of that phone call the head of the school's spelling bee was asking me to judge. Nothing like a last minute request but being the team player I said okay. Mistake #1. The poor person running the show was in over their head. The judges did not have a script. Those of you who know me well know that I live off of the computer spellcheck (my mind moves faster than I can type) so expecting me to be able to know if the word is correct based on an auditory spelling would have a sitcom in the works. So we had to photocopy the list 30 seconds before we were suppose to start. Then the first person started spelling out their word and I realized there was no buzzer, bell, or any other devise to let people know if they were correct or not. What to do! Here comes the Academic Decathlon experience. Do people remember the super quiz without the clock or buzzer? Yes I became the buzzer AND bell. For good effect I added the finger movement towards a button. Fortunately for me the word c-o-n-c-e-r-t-t-o knocked out about 2/3 of the competition so I wasn't there very long. Now I realize that my value on this earth is not to be the best dad to CamMad, not to be a good spouse, but to be a human sound effect machine. I'm thinking about the possibilities. Okay the moment is over.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

But you are a good sound effect. Seriously!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home