Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Crying can really break your heart

Dropping off child 1 in class today made me feel 2 inches tall. Child 1 was so tired and wanted to stay with mom and dad so bad that it lead to a meltdown in the classroom. Rationally you know that leaving the situation and giving the child the chance to be distracted is best but the other side of you is saying stay and soothe the savage beast. I feel into my emotional needs and tried to stay and soothe the savage beast but the rational/responsible side eventually won out. Child 1 had a great day and barely remembers the morning incident.

Right now child 2 is much easier to deal with when the tears flow. Distractions often lead to the Sahara Effect (drying of the tears). The only problem is the tears are flowing like Niagra Falls. I realize it is the age but it still doesn't make you feel like your the best parent you can be for your child.

Oh the stories to hold over their heads when they are in their teenage years and when they become parents themselves.

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Back when I was doing my counseling "thang" I generally suggested that parents calmly exit, reassuring the child that they will be back when school is out. The school will call you if they need you...trust me on that one!!!! 9 times out of 10 the child is fine. No charge for the house call.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home