Sunday, February 12, 2006

How much do I dislike snow?

I dislike snow, let me re-phrase it. I dislike shoveling, moving, or pushing snow. Today's storm was made worse by the fact that it was cold outside. My dislike comes from the fact that I've been around snow and lots of it since I was a kid. I was in Buffalo, NY for the big storm in 78. I shoveled in storms where the bankings were five feet high. You can start to see the picture. I think my mom has a part to play in aversion to snow. When I was a little one I would hear "You should go out and shovel because your father could have a heart attack!" I do not want to place that kind of guilt on CamMad. Not to mention within 10-15 minutes CamMad wants to come in because A "I'm bored" or B "It's too cold". I don't blame them

Each year I keep telling myself after the third big storm in a two week span. I don't care what my credit card balance is I'm going to get a show thrower. Usually I talk myself out of it when I realize that they aren't too many of these type of situations. This year Parent2 is really able to help out due to cold-induced hives. I was going to go out and get a snow thrower but this January was so warm I just had a hard time bringing myself to spend the money. I realize that I'm living on borrowed time but I think I will wait for the end of the season snow season.

I remember happier days-college and the time at the Beach- when I wasn't responsible for shoveling. Those were happier days with the snow. The only thing we had to worry about was getting the car moved before the plows came to clear the parking lot. Usually that involved waking up Sheepish from her cat-nap. At college one of the selling points the admission office sold the incoming freshman to be in East Oh-My-Goodness-I've-Got-A-Long-Walk-To-Anywhere Dorms a.k.a. the Trees was the heating steps up the hill. The reality was would the steps work or would it freeze and become icy. Speaking of college one of the jobs I laughed at was the school looking for students who wanted to be snow removers. You never knew when you might get hours and those hours were on demand 4-5 in the AM or at night. No thanks I stick with the catering job!

I like snow but It is when I can have fun and carefree. I don't consider skiing or shoveling as fun. Shoveling is work and skiing is dangerous. People say you don't ski. My response is simple, "If God wanted me to ski I would have longer feet." I don't have a problem with others who want to ski. If they want to put their lives on the line and to pay for it is their choice. I want to go sledding, make snowballs, create snowman, aka be a kid again and not be responsible for anything other than having fun.

I will save my rant on snow days for another time as I know tomorrow will not be one.

1 Comments:

At 6:32 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Amen, brother, amen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home