Thursday, March 30, 2006

If it is not fun we're done!

For those of you who remember tonight was gymnastics night in the CamMad house. Tonight I went with Child1. The usual crew was there except for their fearless leader, Coach Lisa. The kids were in the capable hands on her daughter, Coach Tiff, and her best friend, Coach Britt. The class was not as smooth but that's the difference with an adult and a high schooler vs. 2 high schoolers. Anyway...

They decided to do something a little different tonight. Everyone was excited to try some new stuff. For the age group it was a challenge for them to do leaps and jumping forward rolls. Some picked it up quickly and some didn't. Child1 was one of those in the not so quick pick up. I could see frustration and self-esteem issues starting to come out. During the break I talk to Child1 and asked a simple question. Are you having fun tonight?

Had the answer to the question been "no" we would have been out of there because if gymnastics is no longer fun for Child1 then it's not an extra activity to put the child through. Don't get me wrong I not saying Child1 would have quit but this type of activity is suppose to be more fun than perfection of execution. I will fully admit now that my child is not the one of the most coordinated or athletic ones out there but the child has a lot of fun. The type of class we signed up for was based on the expectation level of experience and fun.

Fortunately Child1 was having fun. I told the child that having fun was the most important thing and everything else would take care of itself. In the adult world, if you are not enjoying what your doing change it up. If you enjoy what you do the rest will take care of itself. That is one of the mantras that I live my life by. There are times that I have to be reminded of it or I challenge but I always seem to come back to that mantra. Hopefully CamMad will come to understand what that mantra means and adopt it.

Powered by Bleezer

5 Comments:

At 8:58 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Ahhh, the beauty of childhood...can I apply that same concept to my #$%&! taxes this year? I owe...it's not fun. Glad to hear child1 is cool with gymnastics and doing well. I may have mentioned it before,but it bears repeating: perfection!!!

 
At 9:03 PM , Blogger mrichme said...

Sheepish,

As far as taxes go I have two things to say:

1. Interest from Home Loan
2. Children=Deduction (cats don't count)

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger mrichme said...

What's up with the perfection comment?

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Perfect children. Read your archives, dude :) BTW: home loan interest isn't as big an impact after 15 years or so. Yes, I have lived here a very long time!!!

 
At 5:44 AM , Blogger mrichme said...

I now see what you were getting at. Sorry, my bad!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home