Saturday, January 28, 2006

Today is officially PJ Day

While Parent2 was off to work and I was left home alone with CamMad Child1 made the request that today be a PJ day. Even though I had plans to get stuff done outside of the house I felt obliged to honor this request. All day we've been lounging around in our PJs, eating, playing, and just hanging out. In some ways this was a necessary day but that just puts more pressure on tomorrow to get the errands done that I put off today. This kind of request wouldn't have been possible when I was Child1's age because Sundays were always days when the stores were closed except for Radley's market and Smaha's market. Okay my nostalgia reference is done and back to the here and now.

It is amazing to watch the imagination of little ones. Today Child1 and I spent the good part of an hour playing a game that involved 6 inches of yarn (Sheepish, don't ask what kind it was a scrap left over from one of Parent2's projects) and tube from a toy. We made a game out of those project pretending we were launching rockets or projectiles by blowing. I'm not teaching Child1 how to use a spitshooter and we had a lengthy discussion on safety so that no one would get hurt. Child2 took a record nap today (yes we will pay for it tonight). The child took a 3+ hour nap and only was woken up by Parent2 coming home. Child1 towards the end kept asking me, "Can I wake Child2 up?" My response was "No" not because I wanted to keep on sleeping but I knew that dealing with a child who was woken up for no good reason was going to cause Child2 to be the bear that I wanted no part of.

Another amazing thing happened to me today. During nap time Child1 and I were playing on the Internet and stumbled upon a site from Arthur that asked "What would you do?" There were a series of situations and options on how to handle the situation. An example "Someone is calling you 4 eyes what should you do?" Some of the Arthur characters would offer advice like "tell mom", "let the person know that bionic bunny wears glass when he is not the superhero", or "call him/her a name back". Child1 handled each situation very well and did not make the bad choice. As a parent you always wonder if the lessons of right vs. wrong ever sinks in but you may really ever now until it is too late but at least now I feel that there is a better chance than not that Child1 would make the right choice. Sometimes the trials and tribulations of CamMad is enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home