Friday, May 05, 2006

Ice Cream Rings and Innocence

I know that I've been a little slow in the blogging update but I'm hoping to do a better job this weekend and beyond. Today's topic: Ice Cream Rings and Innocence. With this wonderfull weather we've had recently CamMad has been indulging in more and more ice cream. Even though there is not a good local ice cream parlor around our next of the woods we've been checking out some of my old haunts (the ones that are still in business). CamMad has experienced the joys of soft-serve ice cream. I forget how synomimus soft-serve ice cream is with summertime. I got to admit I miss some of the old haunts that have closed their ice cream operations (Foley's Ice Cream and Len Libby's Ice Cream by Higgins Beach).

Anyway, CamMad, like most children leave a tell-tale sign that they've enjoyed ice cream: the ring around their mouth. It can be quite cute and often funny. I've caught my mom sneaking ice cream to CamMad because the ice cream ring couldn't be cleaned up fast enough before I could pick them up. Children always wonder how we know they had ice cream. Sometimes their innocence is refreshing in this mean-cut throat world.

For a lot of people there are some great memories that are tied together with ice cream. For those faithful readers out there (beyond Camadsmom and Sheepish are there any?) what were some of your favorite ice cream memories growing up? I will start with mine.

In college I was like an actor who is looking to make it big, struggling. One of the favorite things my friends and I would do in the spring semester before finals would be going to Chadwick's Ice Cream in Lexington and attempting the Belly Buster. The Belly Buster is 10 scoops of ice cream with 5 different toppings, whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles, and all of the other accessories that you could imagine for an ice cream sundae. When people ordered the Bustah it came out on a stretcher with siren sounds making a scene for all to see. The challenge: Eat it all and get it for free. We would tempt to the porcellon goddess over ice cream so we would split it but someone in the shoppe thought they could be the one to do it and get their name and picture on the Wall of Fame. Most of the time they failed by not finishing the Bustah or we would hear the cry "Bathroom Cleanup Please!" Unfortunately the store is no closed so those Bentley college students will have to find somewhere else to get their ice cream fix but it will always be one of those lifelong memories with the concerts at Avalon or all you eat Pizza or Pasta from Papa Geno's. Ah, the good old days.

Okay folks your turn...

Powered by Bleezer

2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

OK, mine is from college as well: Those of us who went to UMF spent the the winters anticipating the opening day of Giffords. There would always be this huge line of hung-over co-eds jonesing for a sugar cone double scooped with the good stuff. I, of course, was fresh-faced from bible study class, but the rest of those hooligans....

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger JJay said...

I came across this while googling Chadwick's to see if it was still open! I have many childhood birthday memories there. And now I'm devastated that it's closed :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home