Sunday, January 29, 2006

Quality time with the family

Today we had quite a bit of quality family time. I will admit as much as I enjoyed it I'm exhausted. There is my disclaimer as I start a stream of conscience that I have no idea where it is going to go. Child1 was rearing to go from the moment we all got up. It took us a while to get going but we did. Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) gave me a glimpse of the day to come, I went to grab my cell phone and I forgot to charge it Friday night and when I looked at it I realized that I was under 20%. I knew it wasn't going to make the day but I was going to bring the phone anyway. I even tried to find my car outlet to charge it in the phone and couldn't find it quick so I knew what my fate was but pushed on.

Off we went determined to go bowling. We made it to the alley and Parent2 brought the crochet bag in. I thought, "Does Parent2 really think there is going to be time with CamMad to crotchet and bowl?" I guess the answer was yes as it came inside the alley. We had a great time bowling. Child1 enjoyed the bumper guards and was excited for every pin that fell down. In fact Child1 got a spare and a couple X. Child2 was not going to be denied. Child2 sat down with either parent and helped push the ball down the alley, except the 1st frame where she dropped the ball and it got stuck in the middle of the alley. Each of us (parents that is) went down the alley to retrieve the wayward ball. Fortunately the whole place was crawling with families so we were not alone in have to make the walk of shame (far away from the monitors at the front desk). The time I went down the alley I thought I should at least not walk on the alley so I went down the gutter. Okay everyone get you gutter jokes out of the way...done yet?No, get it out of your system now...I felt like I was walking a tight rope with the size ( and width) of my feet it must of look very funny to the family. Anyway, it is very sad when your children beat you in bowling when they are still in primary school but that happened today.

Final Results:
Child1
Myself
tie between Parent2 and Child2

I'm not going to make excuses Child1 beat me far and square.

After bowling we were at a crossroads, lunch or shopping. Shopping won out, "big shocker" :) when you realize we went to Toys R Us. We had fun looking at things for CamMad but our goal was finding a birthday present for CamMad's cousin who is turning 2 next week. Their cousin is at a hard age to buy toys for. Toys are in two categories: under 2 or 3+. There is very little in the 2 age group. I think the See and Say we got is going to be a good toy. It got in on a technicality with the Uncle M's toy policy. That is a story for another blog but basically if it makes annoying noise it should be coming to their house. My aunt loves to break the policy just to get under the skin of Uncle M. This year it was a Doctor Elmo.

After shopping we went to get some lunch. Nothing exciting here but Child1 loved the fact that Curious George was the theme of the Kids Meal. The toy was Curious George on the high bar. Gymnastics and Child1 is like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Child1 wants to see the Curious George Movie that comes out soon. I'm hoping that the movie is coming to Smitty's. I want to be able to sit on comfy seats, stretch out, eat some good food, and enjoy an entertaining movie. Three out of four will not do. My standards are high and I will not settle for anything less than that.

Off to Uncle M's basketball game. We had a good time at the game. Child2 kept calling out wanting to spend time with Uncle M but he was kind of busy, he was only coaching the team. The game was definitely one sided but Child1 had a good time and didn't freak out over the buzzer or the refs' whistle. Child2 did not have a meltdown (notice we have not mentioned a nap yet) and enjoyed the excitement of the game.

If that wasn't enough of family quality time we still had a birthday party to attend. It was good seeing more family and enjoying CamMad's cousin's birthday party. I've already talked about the gifts. Oh yeah. Murphy starting making more of a presense. When I went to take pictures throughout the day the camera was just about out of battery juice. There were some good picture moments that went by the wayside thanks to both the digital camera and the camera phone. Thankfully CamMad's aunt took some good pictures and promised to send me a copy of them. No one has yet had the meltdown but I knew we were on borrowed time and we should get home ASAP.

ASAP took a while as our trek through the Southern and Western part of the state showed all the variations of precipitation. It started off as rain as we left the party and quickly started to mix. Within 10 miles we had snow that was sticking to the ground. There were spots that the car seemed to miss a beat but soon the snow started to get heavier. The car didn't seem to get any traction as the roads were not treated and being a Sunday night there was not a lot of road traffic making a driving path. The last 6 miles of so was a test in patience as the car had a mind of it's own. I was just hoping we would not find a ditch or the front end of a vehicle. It did come close the finding the front of a town plow truck as our car was handling best close to the middle line and the plow truck was not going to veer of it's line. Where I'm blogging now you know that we made it home safely. My knuckles are now just turning back to their natural color. I'm thankful that Child2 fell asleep within 10 minutes of getting into the car and Child1 fell asleep in the last 8 miles of the trip so I could truly focus on the road and not on them and their behaviors.

Whew, I feel better getting all that stuff out there. I hope that you got the fact that we had a lot of fun today as a family but I'm glad it is night time and everyone is asleep so I can get my work done now that I've blogged. Have a great week everyone.

2 Comments:

At 9:57 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

My, my, such a busy day with the little ones!!! I had the whole day to myself...not bragging, really. Remember the whole "dying at home alone on the toilet" thing I have to look forward to. Still, not having kids has a few perks!

BTW, I'm on board with the whole school prediction. Unless something changes (and I'm off to check that now) I think that we'll be back to the old grind in the a.m.

 
At 10:02 PM , Blogger mrichme said...

Can I say how much shoveling snow sucks? I just shoveled the end of the driveway again. I think this will be a topic this week as we are suppose to get more snow. It looks like we are moving into the rain/freezing rain phase of the storm.

Glad to hear that someone out there had a nice peaceful day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home