Monday, February 20, 2006

I have a problem...

My problem might not be one you would have guessed right away. My problem is not CamMad, drugs, alcohol (thank goodness), or anything really good like chocolate. The problem is "information". I've been so used to accessing information whenever I feel like thanks to the Internet and wireless connections that I'm not sure how to handle it when it is taken away. I know that my vacation challenge was to find a creative outlet other than using a computer but I didn't want to be thrown into the deep end without any swim floaties.

The lack of information flowing into the CamMad household was not entirely under our control. This weekend due to the high winds there was some issues with Adelphunk's servers causing a very slow network connection. I was told throughout the day that crews were working on it and it shouldn't take long once they isolate the problem. The first person said it should be within 2 or 3 hours. When I called back I was told "We can't tell you how long because we have to go from spot to spot checking for the bottleneck." That was not what I wanted to hear.

I was a sad person without Internet on Saturday and Sunday morning. I wasn't the only one, Parent2 was not able to track the weather. CamMad were unable to play some of their favorite games. The family was in Mass. yesterday and I was able to make the most important reconnections. I had to watch the Olympic coverage to find out the results instead of NBCOlympics website (how boring and time ineffective).

When we got home today I called Adelphunk back and was told the network was up and that the issue was in the house. I've deduced that when Adelphunk reestablished their connections it was reset correctly and when I established our VOIP router it would only work when the configuration was backwards. The important thing is that we are back online!

My problem is directly tied to the constant flow of information that I've become use to in life. Information is not an addiction but a lifestyle. I'm use to the fact that I can click on sites like MSNBC or CNN and find out the latest or enjoy the BLOG circle (read, think, write). Take that away and you've successfully taken a piece of me away. I will admit it now, I'm a digital native and I'm proud of it.

2 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

It's alllll over now...it's ok. You're going to be all right.

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger mrichme said...

Thank you thank you thank you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home